Thursday, March 12, 2009

Transcription

I am well under way in the transcription process. Because I play a transposing instrument, and because we are trying to be as authentic as possible, I am not using Finale on the computer. I am writing what I can muster down by hand. I am still pretty clueless about the metric breakdown of my piece, mostly because the clarinet and drum in the recording seem to be playing in different meters. I am mostly just noting pitches and will play it as accurately as possible rhythmically by ear.

My piece is just over a minute long and there is one melody that returns several times (notably at the beginning and end of the piece, leading me to believe that it's ABA). It sounds sort of harmonic minor, but it may be modal. I will figure that our for certain after the entire piece is transcribed.

Once I am done transcribing, I will actually run through it several times in the practice room to work on getting the timbre of the clarinetist as well as the embellishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment